Wednesday, October 23, 2019

THE BUSHMAN BUYS AN AXE.


THE BUSHMAN BUYS AN AXE.



I met him in Carlson's hardware store
   he came to buy an axe,
And well I knew that process would
   the shopman's patience tax;
For Bill and Jack will take advice
   when buying boots or clothes,
But there are points about an axe no
   city shopman knows:
It must have balance, edge, and fall,
   be thin of blade and keen.
But tempered well for hard grey box,
   As well as timbers green.

May'hap this tall and sun-tanned man
   from Gippsland hillsides came,
Where axework plays a major part,
   and men must know the game;
For strength and skill, and nerves of
   I steel are needed day by day
By those who on the springboard
   stand, while forest monarchs sway.
My thoughts were straying back
   again to hills that I once knew,
And on the rugged slopes I stood,
   where giant Blackbuts grew.

Once more I heard the axes ring, I
   saw the bright steel flash.
There came a creak, a groan, a thrill
   of some great Mountain Ash,
That, stricken, tottered on its stump,
   thundering 'rousing to earth.
It crashed to wake the sleeping bush
   and still the birdland mirth.
I heard the maul and wedges thud,
   the crosscut biting deep,
While bullock teams were winding,
   slow around the hillside steep.

There axe a'shoulder. once I strode,
   where youth and strength held sway,
For tasks were lighter then than now.
   the hardest work seemed play.
In envy of that bushman tall, I walked the busy street.
   Still musing on the timbered slopes,
where trees and skylines meet,
   For bush-bred folk will ever dream of
hills and winding tracks.
   As I was dreaming there that day the
bushman bought an axe.

                   -A. R. Summers.
                    Kapunda.

First published in 1937 in The Kapunda Herald on the 9th of July, 1937. ( http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article108402170 ) 


A/ Carlson owned 26 Main Street Kapunda, the building was used as a hardware store with the rear premises used to build water tanks. In 1933, Carlson rebuilt the front of the shop., installing the green tiles that are still visible today!

No comments:

Post a Comment